Nov 27, 2009

Sukkot baking disasters


I've taken a bit of a hiatus from posting owing to all the catching up I've had to do for my school work (can't wait to be done with this master's) and all the craziness at work. I've been bumming around the house for my whole thanksgiving vacation since I'm sick so I figured it was time to catch up. I got invited to a friend's house over Sukkot to check out the sukkah she built in her backyard for the first time. It was good times and I decided to bake some stuff for us to enjoy out in the sukkah.

I made some ginger spice cake, the recipe for which I got from Marcy Goldman's Traditional Jewish Holiday Baking book. It's an awesome book and I would recommend it to anyone, but for some reason this wasn't my favorite. I guess I'm not a huge spice cake fan. Plus our oven sucks so the top got burned and I was trying to use a new silicone bund pan I got. The cake got stuck  in the stupid bundt so when I tried to take it out it all broke apart so I tried to piece it back together and just put it back in the  budt. Mehh.



I also tried to make some banana bread. Ughhh so this didn't exactly turn out either. I used a new recipe I hadn't tried before (also from the same book) and I was really stupid because I tried to pour all the mix into one bread pan, which was obviously too much. Anyways the whole disaster just boiled over in the pan so I had cake mix coming out and I literally had to put out a fire in my oven when the all the goop coming burst into flames after coming in contact with the heating coils in the oven. It did still taste good though...and I promise I'm usually not so disastrous in the kitchen...


No comments:

Post a Comment